I'm not about to deny novels, such as Les Miserables, The Counte of Monte Cristo, Tale of Two Cities and Jane Eyre, are phenomenal books; they are. I encourage everyone to read the classics. They just, unfortunately, do not fall within the historical fiction genre.
To be termed a historical fiction novel, the novel must be written at minimum of 50 years after the time or event in question.
I decided to put together a list of my top historical fiction books. It is likely going to be a long list, so I'm going to break it down into separate blogs. I suggest you print the blogs and save them as references for your next historical fiction novel choice. I have a list on my desk of about 40 books I want to read. Each time I see an interesting title, I add it to my list.
So, with no further ado, here are my Top Historical Fiction Novels - Part I - (in no particular order):
- Memoirs of Cleopatra by Margaret George
- The Autobiography of Henry VIII by Margaret George
- Helen of Troy by Margaret George
- Mary Queen of Scott and the Isles by Margaret George
- Elizabeth I by Margaret George
- Earthly Joys by Phillipa Gregory
- Virgin Earth by Phillipa Gregory
- Fallen Skies by Phillipa Gregory
- A Respectable Trade by Phillipa Gregory
- The Constant Princess by Phillipa Gregory
- The Other Boleyn Girl by Phillipa Gregory
- The Boleyn Inheritance by Phillipa Gregory
- The Queen's Fool by Phillipa Gregory
- The Virgin's Lover by Phillipa Gregory
- The Other Queen by Phillipa Gregory
- The Red Queen by Phillipa Gregory
- The White Queen by Phillipa Gregory
- This Thing of Darkness by Harry Thompson
- Ironfire by David W. Ball
- Poison: A Novel of the Renaissance by Sarah Poole
If you haven't read these books, check them out and see if they grab your interest.
I am not starring these books, as they may be been read years, if not decades, ago. To review them now would be unfair unless I reread them. I am categorizing my top historical fiction books by author to minimize the research time required to unearth the hundreds of books I have read.
Meanwhile, so many novels await my attention! I'm about half-way through Imprimatur by Monaldi & Sorti. If this historical fiction novel doesn't sag in the middle or have a dissatisfying conclusion, it's looking like the rating is going to be great.
Look for more Top Historical Fiction Novels in the upcoming weeks as I continue to research authors and titles.