Monday, August 15, 2011

Darlene Williams Top Historical Fiction Novels (Part II)

Has your summer been crazy and somehow disappeared into the ether?  Mine has.  However, I have still been busy reading and researching amongst summer activities.

I must admit the research for the next edition of Top Historical Fiction Novels was more difficult than I anticipated.  I visited several libraries, only to find many of the novels I expected on the shelves disappeared over time.

Nonetheless, I was able to locate some worthy titles for you to check out.  Again, in no particular order, another 20 historical fiction novels I consider merit inclusion in the top historical fiction novels list:

21.   The Great Stink by Clare Clark
22.   The Nature of Monsters by Clare Clark
23.   The Return from Troy by Lindsay Clarke
24.   The Meaning of Night by Michael Cox
25.   The Glass of Time (quasi-sequel to the above) by Michael Cox
26.   Hadrian's Will by William Dietrich
27.   Sacred Hearts by Sarah Dunant
28.   In The Company of a Courtesan by Sarah Dunant
29.   The Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunant
30.   Life Mask by Emma Donaghue
31.   Slammerskin by Emma Donague
32.   The Book of Eleanor by Pamela Kaufman
33.   Book of Negros by Lawrence Hill
34.   The Moonlit Cage by Linda Holeman
35.   In a Far Country by Linda Holeman
36.   Bedlam by Greg Hollingshead
37.   The Josephine B. Trilogy by Sandra Gulland
38.   Mistress of the Sun by Sandra Gulland
39.   Bluebird or the Invention of Happiness by Sheila Kohler
40.   Wolf Hall by Hillary Mantel

I am continuing the research rather painstakingly by scouring nearly 5,000 historical fiction novel titles listed on my local library's catalogue.  So, keep an eye out for the next edition of Top Historical Fiction Novels in the near future.

In the meantime, I have about 100 pages left to finish on Kathryn Stockett's "The Help", 144 pages of "From Sea to Shining Sea" by James Alexander Thom and an enormous tome written by Paul Anderson, "Hunger's Bride, A Novel of the Baroque" (1300 pages), awaits.

Somewhere in there, I am going to cram a 2 month historical research course in preparation for my first novel.

Sleep, well who needs that!

No comments:

Post a Comment