Thursday, April 26, 2012

A-Z April Bloggin Challenge - W - WIVES AND DAUGHTERS by Elizabeth Gaskell


Wives and Daughters, written in serialized form by Elizabeth Gaskell in 1860's, is one of those thick books (which I absolutely love) at 650 pages.  Gaskell is touted as a contemporary of Jane Austen and Charles Dickens for sensitivity imbued in her characters and her wit.

The story takes place in 1830 and the main character is Molly Gibson, whose mother died when she was young, and is being raised by her father.   Her father remarries a rather self-serving woman and Molly suddenly has a half-sister.

Wives and Daughters follows Molly and her new sister, Cynthia, as they journey through the trials, tribulations and joys of metamorphosing into young women.

Wives and Daughters is written in true Victorian style.  Many members on goodreads gave it 5 stars. Reviews can be found here.

Tomorrow's post "X" is going to somewhat different and hopefully creative.  The English language is not exactly conducive to historical fiction novels beginning with the letter "x".  So, stay tuned....

2 comments:

  1. Wives and Daughters is the type of book I like. Blog on!

    http://francene-wordstitcher.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Francene! I do intend to blog on. I received Wives and Daughters from the library and it is HUGE. So, I think I'll return it and download onto my Kindle as I'm not sure the library will permit me to renew often enough!

      Delete